Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mean Old Man

We went to Rob's friend's ranch for the weekend. His friend, Frank, is an older man, in his mid sixties. I guess he is an ex-rodeo cowboy-type. His wife is retired from Sun Microsystems. They had about 30 goats, a dozen chickens and two dogs. One dog diligently protects the goats and does not like strangers. She stays out in an area by the goats. The other dog stayed by the house. This is the dog that I had a problem with. Well, maybe it wasn't the dog but the owners. The dog is happy, friendly, and young. It is full of energy and wants to jump all over you. This means trouble for a little guy like Hunter. When he first tried to play with the dog it jumped all over him, knocking him down and trying to wrestle him. It scared Hunter and he cried. Hence, they put the dog on a leash. It was fine and Hunter stayed away. Later, they tied the dog to the deck. Whenever anyone passed they were jumped on by the dog. I know the dog was friendly and meant no harm. However, I was really irritated because most of the time I passed, I was carrying Hayden and was worried that he would get scratched by a paw or that the dog would knock us over. Whenever poor Hunter went by he was jumped on. Hunter wanted to play with the dog but didn't want to get jumped on. He played with the dog, 'teased' him as Frank called it. Frank got mad at Rob a couple of times, saying that Rob should 'whup Hunter' for disobeying, etc. Frank got onto Hunter about 'teasing' the dog. Hunter wanted to play with the dog and vice versa but Hunter didn't want to get too close because the dog would knock him down. Frank was pretty much on Hunter's ass for everything. Poor Hunter stayed away from Frank all weekend. Rob was upset too because Hunter is too young to be on him so. Frank was just intolerant. His wife even tried to explain to him that he was being too harsh and expected too much out of such a little one. He loved Hayden, but Hayden is just a baby and couldn't do anything to irritate Frank. Needless to say, I don't want to go back there.

On the brighter side, I finished Hunter's sock on the way up there (I just need to weave in the ends). It was a 3 1/2 hour trip and I knit most of the way up. I started Hayden's sock on the way back. I am now on the heel of his little sock. I am changing the pattern to suit my liking. I like a short cuff and leg.

No comments: