Monday, June 25, 2007

Jury Duty

I sure am glad I reread my paperwork regarding jury duty. It was in at the Pittsburg courthouse rather than the Martinez one. Wouldn't you know, I was juror #1, the first name to be called and never eliminated. Many people obviously lied and tried to make excuses so they could be dismissed, not me. I am so honest and take jury duty seriously. In fact, I decided that before we went into deliberations, that I wanted to be the Foreman and was. We voted to convict the defendant of DUI and related charges. There was one who almost dissented but she had her facts wrong and everyone had to explain things to her. I didn't get her. Didn't she pay attention? She was an older woman who felt sorry for the defendant and either twisted the facts or ignored the true facts to try to look at the defendant in a different light than the one the facts conveyed. We all felt sorry for the defendant but it was our duty to follow the law. I was impressed by my fellow jurors. I half expected to deal with dopes who just couldn't follow the laws. Much to my surprise, with the exception of the one woman, they were all intelligent, reasonable people who picked up on the same minor facts and paid attention to every detail that I had. Please don't get me wrong, I don't think I am smarter or better than anyone. I just think I am anal and a geek. It was a pleasure to be on a jury with those people. As we were leaving the building, I heard the Bailiff tell a fellow juror that we did the right thing and that the defendant had 'priors'. Maybe by way of court orders, she will get some help and it will work.

The first morning of jury duty was spent waiting to see if there would be a trial. I used that time to knit!! I used every break except for lunch, to knit. Oh, and it felt good. However, I haven't had time since.

Saturday, we looked at houses again. We found one we liked more than any we had seen so far. Our realtor submitted our bid today and we should know by Wednesday at 10 am if we get the house. It has huge bay windows that face the community swimming pool and park. Although, it only has 2 bedrooms, it has a large front yard, a large side yard, and a large patio. How perfect is that for a couple with two little kids. I can just walk across the street to the park so the boys can play on the slides!! There is plenty of room to add on. The front of the house faces one street and the garages face the street behind the house. Yes, that is right, garages!! It has two. My husband is dying to get this house. The kitchen and bathrooms need to be remodeled, but the house is newly painted inside and has new carpets. We love it!!

No comments: